Wednesday, July 05, 2006

100 Details


I've joined the legions who are doing Sharon B's 100 details in 100 days crazy quilt embellishments. I went through my wool stash and pieced these four 12" fan blocks so I'd have something to work on. I'd forgotten how different piecing wool is from cotton--it's definitely less stable and more prone to stretch, but I managed to get the blocks together. This wool is from suiting samples and from recycled wool skirts, which is an excellent source of big pieces of wool. The other thing I had to do is to organize my vat of embroidery floss. I don't know about you, but I've got a ton of embroidery floss, and the funny thing is that I can only remember a handful of occasions when I've actually bought it. Maybe floss is like scraps, and it reproduces when you're not looking. More likely, I'm the recipient of other people's stash purgings. In the photo you can see the sliver of soap I use to mark guide lines. It works well because the line lasts just long enough for you to use it and then it's gone.

I have plenty of the requisite supplies on hand, but I have bought some buttons at the thrift store because I want a selection of colorful and small buttons to use as embellishments. If you want to see some eye candy, check out Sharon's I dropped the button box crazy quilt. Debra has also done some good work incorporating buttons into her 100 details.



From bottom to top here are my versions of: plaited fly stitch with French knots (day 15); rick-rack with detached chains and beads (day 2); day 15's open cretan stitch with French knots and pearls; and day 3's hanging grapes (or wisteria if you prefer).

Stitching on wool is wonderful because the fabric gives so much. If someone wanted to try this who had joint problems, working with wool would be a good option to try. I can't wait to see what Sharon inspires us with next.

7 comments:

Debra Dixon said...

This is going to be a beauty! I don't know about you but it is fun to just sit down and do some slow handwork for awhile. Can you just imagine how involved your fan pieces will be with all the embellishments? very nice with the wool too. I have a wool crazy quilt cut out with organic shapes to applique on top from the late 90s that I shelved. Maybe when I finish this piece I should revisit the possibilities there. It's fun how we can all inspire each other. That reminds me--am thinking my spring Madonna would be a good chance to learn some ribbon roses and do some bouquets. . .

Barbara C said...

Ribbon work is on my wish list too. I see that Sharon has a link to ribbon work in her 7/6 post.

Sandra said...

Beautiful stitching! I just love seeing all the variety in the 100 days challenges.

Rian said...

Yay Barbara! Welcome to crazy land. Oh, I can tell you've had some experience at this. Your fan blocks will be awesome! Me too on that ribbon. Can't wait to get into that! It's fun to see how everybody's work bears their own flavor.

laura west kong said...

It looks wonderful already! I can't wait to see what it will look like with all the embellishments.

allie aller said...

The fans, the wool, and the stitching are a most fortuitous combination. Barbara, this is going to be a true treasure.

Debra Dixon said...

I like your colors (I am looking after your comment on Rian's blog). I think this piece looks just like your work. It is so interesting when people say that about my work and I want to say, "OK, whose work do you think it could be??!" I have the same supplies I always have and make the same kind of quilts--it's what I know how to do. . .

I drool over Sharon and now Susan's pieces in their delicacy but I am just not wired that way, I guess. It is fun to see all the interpretations though.

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...