Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Rag Bag Christmas Quilt


I'm learning a lot about my process through writing this blog. One thing that I'm more conscious of now is that I really seek the serendipitous in my work. My best kind of inspiration is running across something accidentally, especially "found" fabric. I found the fabric for this quilt in the Christmas section of the thrift store. Now I never would go out and buy Christmas fabric deliberately to make a Christmas quilt--for some reason, that doesn't appeal to me at all. But finding scraps of Christmas fabric in the thrift store is like a challenge to me. So I made this little quilt, and on my new machine the whole process was such a joy. The whole experience made me happy as a clam, and I got a quilt for my kitchen table in the bargain.

Here's last year's Christmas quilt, which I made the same way. Hmm...I guess I'm seeing a pattern here...or maybe, it's a style (?)

4 comments:

Debra Dixon said...

The fabrics in your first Christmas quilt are about the age of my Christmas fabrics. If you need some more (horrors) let me know!

Have you discovered the ¼" quilting foot? That is one little gem! I love it!

Rian said...

Cute little quilt, BC! At least you've got a style. (I haven't found mine yet.) Oh, I see you have the Janome 6500. Don't you just love that machine!

Barbara C said...

Yes, I love that machine and I love that 1/4" foot. The quilting foot is pretty cool too...and I love that thread cutter!

Thanks Debra for the offer of your old Christmas fabrics. but I think I've got it out of my system for this year. Now I'll just have to stop collecting home dec sample books...

The Calico Cat said...

Lovely quilts! I love the use of buttons! (And the scrappiness!)

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...